Armuchee Cross Country

Shelby Green

At Armuchee High School there is a Cross Country team. The Cross Country team practices every day after school and runs thirty to forty-five minutes. Some of the runners even practice in the mornings to be able to go to another sports practice in the afternoon. The Coach for Cross Country is Scott Pierce. He has coached Golf and Cross Country. He also used to be a runner on the track team at Berry College. The high school has a Cross Country trail that lies between North Woods and the school that the runners usually run on for practice. There are many different workouts that the team uses in practice to get ready for meets. These include; speed workouts, hill workouts and ab workouts.

There are a variety of students that run Cross Country. Freshman, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors. Freshman, Braxton Honea is running for his first year in Cross Country. He enjoys running the trail and doing speed workouts. After asking him what he was most looking forward to this year he said, “ I am most looking forward to training as much as I can to get ready for state.” Some of the people that run Cross Country also run Track which helps with earning scholarships in the future. Senior, Grace Stanley has ran Track her entire high school career, and this is her first year in Cross Country. In her first race on Ridge Ferry’s trail she placed first in Floyd County. Her average mile was 7:11 which put her at a 21:33 5k. The Cross Country team meets are mostly on the weekend but some are also during the week. Coach Pierce works hard to keep the trail in tip-top shape for the runners. Definitely Come support the team in your free time.