The Student News Site of Armuchee High School

Tribe Tribune

Tribe Tribune

Tribe Tribune

The Art Room: Healthy Environment For All

Mrs. Dougherty
Beretta Dempsey’s Zentangle Art

A visual arts class is one of the many electives offered at Armuchee High School. Loved by many, the class allows students to express themselves and their emotions. Many students who have taken an art class have viewed the Art Room in general as a safe space. Senior Kaili Wheeler said, “I use my art period to disassociate and that gives me a time where I can just listen to music and draw without worrying about everything else for an hour.” The art classroom gave Wheeler a hideaway, where she could relax and participate in what she loves for a period every day.

Mrs. Dougherty, art teacher, began her teaching career as an English teacher. Having grown up around a variety of creative minds, she has always felt attracted to the idea of teaching an art class. Mrs. Dougherty said, “I offered to help plan some projects for the substitutes in the absence of a full-time art teacher. When the position was opened, they offered me the job. I accepted it.” Mrs. D paved the way for the future of the Armuchee visual arts program.

Mrs. Dougherty is known for being very fond of her classes. Students have described Dougherty as “caring,” “talented,” and “real.” Sophomore Jade Lopez said, “She’s very attached to all of her students. She interacts with us throughout the period, and she’s very supportive when it comes to someone needing help.” A personal connection towards the mentor and student body is helpful towards succeeding in the classroom. Lopez’s art has succeeded in the art classroom due to Mrs. Dougherty.

There is a wide variety of projects in art classes, but the annual “Zentangle” project remains the same each year. Mrs. Dougherty said, “We do the ‘Zentangle’ project since our first unit is lines, which this particular project primarily focuses on.” Zentangle is an art project where someone has to create multiple patterns using only lines. This project shows the art students that without knowing how to work with lines, they would struggle with art, and how they can create magnificent things with just one tool. Freshman, Beretta Dempsey said, “I enjoyed seeing the finished product of the Zentangle. Since it was made of lines it was really interesting to see it come together.” Her ice-cream themed Zentangle project stood out among others. Every year, art students can expect to repeat the project and create new and contrasting results each time.

The art class has allowed students to express themselves in more abstract ways, and many students regard it as a safe space for them to express their feelings about the world around them. Mrs. Dougherty is a supportive teacher, allowing students to convey their feelings in ways they might have never thought possible. The art classroom is a healthy environment for many students at Armuchee High School.