The Student News Site of Armuchee High School

Tribe Tribune

Tribe Tribune

Tribe Tribune

The Newest Member of Armuchee High School: Coach Cannon

Coach Jonathan Cannon
Coach Jonathan Cannon

Coach Jonathan Cannon, new to the Armuchee community, is a teacher and an assistant softball coach at Armuchee High School. Cannon said he loves the community and has settled in very well to his new surroundings. Cannon’s former school was Pepperell High School. Cannon is one of the many new teachers at Armuchee High School teaching Special ED and has been a big help in the classroom already. According to Emmanuel Johnson, he is very kind-hearted and helpful which makes him a perfect fit for the classroom. Emmanuel Johnson, an 8th-grade student, said, “He has helped me with my math, science, and reading skills, and he has helped me keep up my grades.” Cannon constructs a path for students’ journeys that lie ahead. Kelsey Arp, freshman, said,” Cannon connects with kids very well.” The ability to connect with kids helps him become very productive in the classroom. Cannon discovers likes and dislikes and finds a happy medium to better connect with his students while still staying productive in the classroom.

According to his softball team, Coach Cannon, assistant softball coach, is great in the classroom and on the field. Cannon is one of the assistant coaches of the Armuchee High School Softball Team and mainly coaches the outfield and works on hitting with players. Cannon has been coaching softball for nine seasons as of this year. Cannon grew up playing baseball. He started coaching softball because baseball and softball are naturally alike. He even coached both for quite some time. Kirsten Conti, a junior player on the softball team, said, “Coach Cannon gives great advice, and he’s very positive on the field. It makes me want to work harder and get better.”

Cannon has helped develop his players to be better players and to work hard. He offers to help after practice with the players if needed. He gives the players drills that they can work on at home if needed. One drill in particular that the softball team has done is when Cannon would throw a tennis ball and hit it with a tennis racket high in the air and the outfield would have to locate it and catch it without their gloves. Another drill is when he throws a big bottle and players have to catch it without their gloves as well. This drill is much harder because the cap is very light and the wind has a huge effect on the speed and spin of the cap.

Cannon has made a huge impact in Armuchee Softball since he moved into the community. Sara Harris, a senior player on the softball team, said, “Well, he’s become a new outfield coach for us, so that’s different because we’ve never really had a specific outfield coach.” This season, Cannon has already helped so many of his players. Christina Arnold said, “Coach Cannon gives his one hundred percent effort in coaching the girls. He is always there for the girls as well.” Cannon doesn’t back down from a challenge. If the girls are having trouble, he will not leave them as they are. He will help them to fix their mistakes. Cannon said, “Scheduling hard and making practice harder will lead to a higher level of success because you are facing more competitive teams.” Cannon believes working hard and putting in the effort makes a great team. Cannon said, “Everyone working together as a team is what wins playoffs.” Cannon has made a goal for his players to make it to the playoffs this season. 

He has confidence in his players that they will play to their abilities and affect the output of the team. Some future Armuchee Indian Softball players are excited for Coach Cannon to become one of their many coaches. Trinity Park, a 7th-grade softball player, said, “I’m excited for him to help me with my hitting, fielding skills, and how to become a better athlete.”