Riley Roberts- Most Involved Senior Superlative

Azan Chaudary, Staff Writer

This past November, senior superlatives were announced for Armuchee High School. Riley Roberts, a senior at Armuchee High School, was selected as the most involved female senior for the graduating class of 2023. AHS offers many extracurricular activities for students to participate in, including a multitude of different clubs and sports. Roberts has been a part of several clubs and teams during her time at AHS and has even held leadership positions within her extracurriculars. Roberts said, “Throughout my time at AHS, I have been involved with SADD Club, Student Leadership (Vice President), FCA (Huddle Leader) , FBLA, National Honors Society (Vice President and President), Key Club (Class Representative, Vice President, and President), Track, and Tennis.”

Senior, Riley Roberts, does not consider any of her extracurriculars as less than the others; however, she does have certain activities she wishes she could have done better at. Roberts said, “I can honestly say that I do not have a “least favorite thing” that I have been involved with. Although some of the things I have done, I may not have been the best at, for example, track. Everything I have done has taught me valuable lessons that I will carry with me for the rest of my life. Even knowing what I know now, if I had the chance to change anything that I have been involved in, I would not.” Being so involved is not an easy thing to do, and certainly does not come without its struggles. However, Roberts has pushed herself since her freshman year to make sure she always shows up for everything she does. Roberts said, “One thing that pushed me so hard to be involved was wanting to make a difference not only at Armuchee High School but for the community as well. Along with this, I thought it would be a great way to branch out and get out of my comfort zone my freshman year.”

Roberts feels she would not be able to be the student she is today without the encouragement and support from multiple teachers here at AHS. The three teachers/faculty members that have pushed and inspired Roberts the most are: Mrs. Mowery, Dr. Bettler, and Mrs. Ratledge. It was very difficult for Roberts to pick just one teacher who inspired her most, so she said, “During my time at AHS, a lot of teachers have touched my heart, so it’s very difficult to pick just one. For me, it’s like picking a favorite parent or something of that sort.” Roberts most admires Mrs. Mowery’s love and ability to sympathize with her students. Roberts said, “Mrs. Mowery has encouraged me since my Freshman year, and I know I would not be the student or person I am today without her class. Mrs. Mowery has seen me at my best and definitely at my worst over the past years, but she hasn’t loved me any less, and I am forever grateful for that.” When it comes to Roberts’ relationship with Dr. Bettler, she appreciates his truthfulness and guidance. Roberts explains, “While Dr. B’s honesty may be brutal from time to time, he knows when you need to hear it and why. These past two years he has pushed me to places I didn’t think I could go.” Lastly, Roberts explains her gratitude for Mrs. Ratledge’s motivating spirit and encouragement. Roberts said, “Mrs. Ratledge’s impact goes beyond the classroom since she was my tennis coach last year. She believed in me when I didn’t believe in myself”.

Although Roberts loves being involved in so many things at AHS, she said, “Being involved can be exhausting from time to time, especially when some weeks I will have three meetings at 7:30 and one at 7:45. However, it is one of the most rewarding experiences at the same time. While some weeks have been harder than others, I am aware that I did in fact sign up to do this, and I remind myself that it is not about me”. After Roberts graduates this May, she plans to attend either Anderson University or Berry College and major in nursing. Her ultimate goal is to eventually become a neonatal nurse. While AHS will miss having Riley Roberts on and around campus, her impact has left a lasting legacy that will not be forgotten and we look forward to seeing her succeed in the future.