Basketball Cheerleading

+The+basketball+cheerleaders+cheer+on+the+intense+basketball+game+at+home%2C+against+Coosa.+

The basketball cheerleaders cheer on the intense basketball game at home, against Coosa.

Kaylie Terry, Staff Writer

This years basketball cheerleading team is encouraging and full of spirit. They take pride in Armuchee by cheering for another win. They motivate fans and the student section to get on their feet and yell with them. The team has two groups that switch out every game day. The two coaches are Coach Cassie Helrigel and Coach Jennifer Dougherty.

The seniors on the team are Maura Duke, Brynn Hall, Sabrina Lykins, and Caroline Ray. Duke said, “I am going to miss making memories with my teammates and cheering on my friends on the basketball team.” Hall said, “My favorite part of cheering basketball has been getting to be on another cheer team that has my friends on it and making the most out of every moment.” Lykins said, “I am going to miss all of my friends from the basketball and cheer team.” Ray said, “My favorite part of basketball cheerleading has been going to all the games and cheering with all of my friends.”

Katey Cowart is a junior on the team and has cheered basketball since the beginning of high school. Cowart said, “My favorite part of cheering basketball so far is cheering on my brother.”  Another junior on the team is Chloe Pledger. She enjoys basketball cheerleading. She said, “I get to be closer with the basketball team and student section, and I love getting the student section to chant with us.”

Addison Lovelace is a sophomore on the team. She said, “My favorite parts are how intense the games get and getting the student section involved to where it feels like one big community supporting one another.” Sophomore, Jaydynn Johnson, said that basketball cheerleading is one of her favorite parts of high school. She said, “The energy of the games helps boost the school’s moral and makes me feel like a part of the community.”

Kenzie Dye is a freshmen on the team. She said that she decided to be a basketball cheerleader because she loves supporting her team and her community.  Another freshmen is Paige Wilkins. She said, “I chose basketball cheerleading because it gives me the chance to support my favorite school that’s surrounded with amazing people.”

As the season is coming to an end, Coach Helrigel said, “This season with the girls was special to me because this is my last season with some of my most favorite seniors.” She has been coaching basketball cheerleading for six years.