NHS Induction 2018

NHS members pose for a picture as they get ready to go up on stage.

Allison Jackson, Editor

This year 30 students were accepted into the NHS chapter on September 28th. Being a member of NHS is the highest honor a student can have. In order to be accepted, a student must maintain a 92 average overall GPA. To be inducted, the student must complete a packet to explain themselves, participate in an interview held by staff members, and receive at least two recommendation letters. In the packet, they list what extracurricular activities they are involved in. They also have to write an essay over the characteristics of NHS: character, scholarship, leadership, and service.

During the interview, students encounter questions about what they are involved in, what they plan to do, who they look up to the most, what would they do if a friend cheated on a test, why they should be inducted into NHS and what they will bring to NHS. To prepare for the interview Sophomore, Hannah Dellis read over her essay because she knew the questions she would be asked by the staff conducting the interview would reflect her essay.

NHS Sponsor, Ashley Flagello, is looking forward to the service projects NHS does during the holidays and the new project that will occur this spring. The project will be taking the place of Relay for Life, NHS’s biggest spring service opportunity. Though it is not yet known what the project will be, Flagello is excited about it. “It will be nice to do something different.” This year she plans on improving the service projects that NHS does inside of the community. Chaplain, Carsen Ragland’s responsibility is to encourage the members of NHS; she writes letters to encourage them and tell them to keep up their good work. Ragland enjoys the holiday service opportunities and is excited about stuffing the boo-grams that NHS sells each year. Being in NHS is her motivation to keep her grades up; she knows if she does not then she will be put on probation.

New inductee, Sophomore Theodore Chesnut, is looking forward to helping as many people in need as he can. Chesnut feels that his first year in NHS will be stressful because he will have to learn everything that NHS is about. Chesnut said, “I feel being in NHS will help me gain leadership skills and get more experienced with working with others.” Dellis feels that her hard work has finally paid off, “Being in NHS is an honor and accomplishment for all the hard work I have put into my school work.” Dellis views her grades as a reflection of her work effort; she feels the harder she works in each class the higher her grade will be. Dellis is looking forward to a new chapter in her high school career which will allow her to be successful and more involved. New inductee, Sophomore Alexis Thorton views her grades as very important because they determine what her future will be like. Thorton can be the best student she can be by, working hard and always doing my work, while staying motivated.”

Chesnut views his grades as very important because they help decide what his future will be like, “To be the best student you can be, try your hardest. If you fail to get back up and try again.” Ragland’s advice to the new members, “Stay on top of your hours, keep your grades high and go to every event given to us.” Flagello’s advice to students already in NHS, new inductees, and those striving to be in, “Be responsible, and be an active participant. The more you put into an activity the more you will get out of it.”