One Book, Many Voices

Allison Jackson, Editor

One Book, Many Voices

the overall essay winner is AHS Senior, Emma Grace Rogers. Senior, Jana Early was the school winner for the essay. One Book, Many Voices is a community READ program with schools from all over the county and city. On Thursday night, October 19 attendees of all ages listened to Matt de la Peña. He is a nationally recognized author of I Will Save You. Senior, Savannah Poole said, “What stood out to me the most while reading the book, was no one knows all the hidden aspects of the character until the ending.” Senior, Natalie Daniel said, “the main character examined parts of his personality that were the darkest.” Students wrote an essay once having read the book. The essay prompt was for the students to discuss their philosophies of life. Darlington, Model, Coosa, and West End schools all participated in the essay contest. The winners were recognized at the reading with Peña. Senior, Lauren Hamilton discussed the importance of happiness in her essay. While writing the essay Senior, Erin Carney learned there are different points of view about a philosophy for life. Carney said, “To achieve happiness I am going to use my God-given talents.” The AP seniors of this year and honors english freshmen from last year read this book. Some students went to a writer’s workshop with Peña. At the workshop the students were given prompts from De La Peña to write. Senior Lava Amedi said, “I went because I wanted to try something new.”