Time to Hit the Mats at AHS: Wrestling

Jacob+Henderson

Jacob Henderson

Morgan Rogers, Staff Writer

Kyle Cushing

The 2017-2018 Armuchee High School wrestling season began at the end of October. The group of 25 boys starts their season off with lots of running and conditioning to get them prepared for their upcoming tournament/matches. They also have started an app snap fundraiser to gather funds for the upcoming season. Last wrestling season the team placed second in area and Senior Jacob Henderson and sophomore Wes Conley won individual in State.  “I felt like I was on the top of the world when I won,” Conley said.

The boys are setting high hopes and goals for the 2017-2018 season. “My hopes for this season are for this team and group of guys to exceed the already high expectations for us. We’ve got potential to be great we just have to put in the work now,” said Junior, Brayden Butler. Coach Harris has also been preparing the team by setting goals and expectations for the season. Harris said, “I feel good about the season, we have a lot of returners, and our bar has been raised.”   The boys will have multiple tournaments and matches for which they will have to prepare. Harris said, “They need to cut their hair, nails, and shave their face before every match or practice.” All the boys prepare themselves in a different way before every match. Some may listen to music, stretch, relax, as well as many other things. “Before every match I eat a Snickers and clear my mind,” said Sophomore Kyle Cushing. Harris is very excited for this season and has high hopes for the team and also for the individuals to bring home more wins.