National Honors Society Induction

Allison Jackson, Editor

On September 20, 2017, twenty-two new inductees walked across the stage to shake Principal John Rhodarmer’s hand for their certificate, which means that they are now members of National Honors Society. Science teacher and NHS sponsor, Ashley Flagello said, “This was an outstanding group of young ladies and gentlemen. They meet the GPA requirement and all had great interviews.” To be able to be inducted into NHS the students must maintain a 92 or higher GPA, fill out forms and attend an interview, which was held by faculty: Mr. Rhodarmer, Donald Bettler, Patrice Skinner and Nolan Smith,, Katelynn Wilson, Emily Mowery and Candace Hammond.
Junior, Caroline Ray participates in many extracurricular events with the school and is also a member of NHS. She puts in time in extra service opportunities since she is not able to attend all of the events with NHS. Ray studies hard and stays dedicated to her work. She encourages other students to make good grades to be a part of this because it is a good way to stay involved with the community. NHS’ biggest service project is Relay for Life in the spring. The sponsors of NHS, Mrs. Ratledge and Mrs. Flagello prepare for a new year in NHS by looking at the previous year to see what they liked and what they needed to improve. They work towards improving by being more present in the school.
Sophomore, Mattison Hawkins, new inductee, is proud of her accomplishments; she commits to her classwork. She prepared for her interview by getting her mom to ask her example questions. Sophomore Audrey Young and new inductee worked towards this accomplishment by keeping her grades up all of last year. This year she is looking forward to serving the community and school with her peers.
Sophomore, Rylee Cook is a new member in NHS. She wanted people to know how hard she has worked to accomplish this goal. She realized last year that she could not give up and had to keep a high average in order to consider NHS. Cook said, “When it comes down to your grades, you have to think about your future; and NHS is a great opportunity to keep them where you want them.”
Ray’s advice to the new members, “Keep your grades up and get all of your service hours.” Members of NHS must maintain their 92 or above GPA and uphold the four ideals: scholarship, leadership, service and character.