Best Band in the Land

Mitchell Worsham, Ethan Peace, Staff Contributors

Kayla Hutcherson, Junior at Armuchee High School, is the Drum Major for the AHS Marching Band. Hutcherson started Drum Major position this year; last year she was the Drum Major assistant. As a drum major she tells the band what to do by conducting and telling the band when one part should start and when one should stop from the top of a podium overlooking the entire band. Every day they practice in 2nd period and 7th period. Even though she is a drum major she also plays clarinet for the band and the piano she learns and plays at home. Her inspiration to become a drum major was at an event called middle school night, at Armuchee Middle School and when she saw the drum major at the time she was amazed and looked up to her.

During summer in July there is a band camp for two weeks, they work very hard in the hot July sun marching and learning new songs. The band director is Seth Bates; he runs the band and teaches the band about their instruments. For the competitions there is a percussion instructor, Justin Jones, who is with the band all the time, who comes up with the choreography for the sets which is their formations and marches. Hutcherson still has time for extracurricular activities she said, “I also run track and cross country so I like to run in my free time.” She has a goal for the band this year. “Overall, I want them to play better than before and grow.”

Mr. Bates, Band Instructor, has taught Marching Band for 17 years. He is inspired by music, the students, Friday night football, and competitions. Bates said, “The students spend about 200 hours per marching season where they learn when, where, what, and how to play and march.” Together there are thousands of “things” students learn in marching band… some of them involve music and marching, but many of them do not. Bates said, the most difficult thing to teach is everything that is not music.

Vanita Richardson, sophomore, clarinet player, has been in band since sixth grade. Richardson wanted to learn how to play an instrument so she chose to play the Clarinet. Richardson said, “I enjoy learning to play high notes.” She usually practices ten minutes every day. Richardson told us the hardest thing to do in marching band was reading the notes and remembering to look at the choreography sheet.  “Haley Lopez, who graduated in 2017, inspired me to join band”.

Spencer Hood, freshman, joined band so he could have a hobby to enjoy. Hood wanted to play the trombone because it seemed more challenging and unique than all the other instruments. Hood said, “I joined marching band so I can show my love for my hobby and so I can meet new people.”

Will Lehr, sophomore, joined band because he likes and enjoys playing music.

Lehr is a percussionist because his brothers and step dad were also percussionist.  Lehr said, “I was talked into joining marching band and fell in love with it ever since I have been a part of it.”