Journalism in the Advanced Grammar & Composition Classes

Tyler Buckenham, Staff Writer

In Mrs. Mowery’s Advanced Grammar and Composition Classes, the attending students are required to complete assignments where they are told to create an article for the Tribe Tribune website. The website is meant to share school information as an online newspaper site that students and the Armuchee Community can utilize in order to learn about upcoming school celebrations or events. Stories range from AHS sports and academic awards to clubs such as the academic decathlon or civic engagement. One article for every student is submitted and is said to be a tedious task for most students. Tenth Grade student, Elan McClain, said, “writing these articles is hard and can take a while to complete, but in the end, I’m happy with what I have written.”

Working inside and outside of the classroom, they have been writing articles since they first started with their Senior Superlative article. Parker Campbell, a tenth-grade student, said, “The last article that I wrote was about Honor Band and I believe that I did a great job writing it.” To start the writing process, the students choose a topic that relates to the Armuchee Community to write about. The first step is to brainstorm ideas and the subject that they will describe in their articles.

The students are also hard at work right now making their new articles for the month of March. Tenth-grade students Alex Beavers and Parker Campbell explained what they were currently writing about for their March article, where Alex Beavers said, “I’m currently writing about the opportunities of the second semester,” and Parker Campbell said, “Right now I’m working on an article about Dual Enrollment.” With more events coming up in the future of AHS, the range of article topics will increase as well which will inform numerous other students about what is going on in the school.

The writing process is extensive and usually takes students a few weeks to complete the rough and final draft of their articles. Issac Tucker, a 10th-grade student, said, “First, I brainstorm ideas for a while, then write freely about the topic and how to explain it, and after I finish, I revise the article so that there are no problems”. After this section, the students are allowed to interview other students that are affiliated with the topic that they are writing the article about. The students ask their peers questions and add them to their articles as quotes that help support their topic. Once the students have completed their rough draft, they wait for feedback from Mrs. Mowery and her journalism interns.

The articles that Mrs. Mowery’s students write are influential to the members of the tribe and will inform their peers about events of the tribe. Advising new writers, tenth-grade Issac Tucker said, “Take your time, make sure to lay out your ideas and the organization will set you free”. Stories can highlight the achievements of those peers as well as create memories that the readers will remember from their high school experience.