Benefits of AP Courses for Your Future

Maggie Dillard, Staff Writer

February 9th, grades 8th – 11th had the opportunity to preview AP (Advanced Placement) classes for the following school year at the showcase in the auditorium. Here at Armuchee High School, we offer ten in-person AP Courses. Next year, however, AHS will offer even more, including AP Pre-Calculus and AP Psychology. Students who take AP courses have chosen to take a more rigorous path in their education. Currently, there are around 100 students at AHS enrolled in AP classes. Melanie Floyd, an AP Seminar at Armuchee, said, “AP classes challenge students to complete complex tasks and learn advanced material.” AP classes allow students from different areas of the country to be compared to each other. 

AP classes have their ups and down throughout the courses. Sophomore, BriAnna Hibberts, said, “The pros to taking an AP class include learning how to study and it teaches you a lot. The cons include, AP courses are harder and you have more homework than the regular ed classes.” AP classes are a great way to get a head start on college. Senior, Emmy Carney, said, “If you are planning to go to college, AP courses are great.” Many people who take AP courses can graduate college early. Carney also said, “AP classes prepare you the best for college.” AP classes prepare you in terms of studying and test material. There are many difficult aspects of an AP class as a teacher or student. Floyd said, “As a teacher, I feel a lot of pressure for my students to do well.” 

Capstone is the only two-course series that the College Board offers. Donald Bettler, an AP Biology and AP Research teacher, said “The first class is AP seminar, and students work in small groups and individually to study issues and write about and perform a ten-minute presentation on their issue. The second course in the sequence is AP research and students then use some of what they learned in the AP seminar course and apply it to their own research.” Capstone teachers are limited in how much they can help individual students. They can only assist the class as a whole, according to College Board. This teaching is unique only to Capstone courses.

Many times, AP courses are confused with dual enrollment classes. Bettler said, “Both classes can lead to college credit but dual enrollment classes are a little bit more guaranteed to lead to college credit. But, depending on the level of the class, oftentimes they are not as difficult as the AP class.” This year, most dual enrollment classes are online. This could be harmful to students’ grades because of the importance of having a teacher face-to-face. Hibberts said, “In-person AP has been helpful for me because it allows me to successfully prepare for my future in college with a face-to-face learning experience.”  These rigorous classes also challenge students to do their best and try their hardest. This can benefit them inside and outside of the campus doors.