Kelsey Arp and Evey Flagello Compete in State-Level Tech Fair

Evey Flagello and Kelsey Arp after regional at Georgia Highlands

Corinne Wagner, Staff Writer

In December, January, and March Kelsey Arp and Evey Flagello, the daughters of Michelle Arp and Ashley Flagello, competed in a Tech Fair competition. Kelsey and Evey both go to Armuchee Elementary and are in fourth grade. The competition lasted around four months and took place at Berry College, Georgia Highlands, and the Macon campus of the Middle Georgia State University. At the first competition, which was sectionals their category was digital editing of an original photograph, and they won first place. After winning first place there, they moved on to the Region competition at Georgia Highlands in January where they presented the same photograph and won first place, as well. On March 9th they competed at the State competition at Macon campus of the Middle Georgia State University. They won third place. Kelsey said, “Evey and I were both very honored to have had the chance to go these competitions and present our project, and I am so glad that I had a partner like Evey to work with.” About the competitions, Kelsey said, “We were both very nervous, but we know that we have done our very best, and we are proud to have made it to state.”

The digital photo that they created was named “Alien Attack” and their theme was Halloween because Kelsey’s birthday is on Halloween. The steps of the project started by taking a picture of Kelsey’s house. After that, they uploaded the photo to a photo editing website called BeFunky and edited it using the paintbrush tool. Evey said, “On BeFunky we used the holga effect to make the photo look like there was fog on the photo, the scratch tool to make the house look old and like it was haunted and used graphics to make the rocket, moon, and the monsters.”