September’s Noon Optimist: Stephen Mathis

Brianne Carver, Staff Writer

Stephen Mathis, senior, was the Noon Optimist award winner for the month of September. Stephen has ambitious plans for his future, including attending Berry College or UGA and majoring in science or mathematics teaching.  After he teaches for a few years, he plans to go back to school to be an administrator. Mathis was honored and excited when informed that he would be receiving this award. Some of his extracurricular activities are National Honor Society, FBLA, Student Council, Academic Decathlon, and tutoring during summer school. His services here at the school and the work he does for the office will leave a legacy when he graduates in May, 2018.  Mrs. Flagello, science department, said, “Stephen is one of the most dependable, self-motivated, down to earth students I have ever taught. It has been a privilege to be part of this wonderful young man’s education experience.” Mrs. Mowery, English department, teaches Mathis AP English. She said, “Mathis had already impressed me with his good attitude and effort, inside and outside the classroom, especially with his AR reading.” Mrs. Hammond, English department, said she will always remember his smile and his chuckling laugh when he graduates. She said, “ No matter what life throws at him in a single moment, he continues to smile and laugh while calmly handling each situation!” Mrs. Cox, mathematics department, said Mathis accepts things that are thrown at him, doesn’t complain about the work he has to do, and does whatever it takes to get the job done. “Stephen appreciates the opportunities he is given and takes full advantage of them in order to better himself. His optimism makes him generous – always willing to step in and help others. Stephen’s positive attitude is contagious in that his presence lifts the attitude and effort of others,” said Cox.