Students Make The School

Olivia Fields, Staff Writer

At AHS, we have over 28 students who are involved in internships. Every year a class of newly made adults graduate, excited to head into their futures. One of the tools provided to those seniors is internships, where students are assigned a real-life work setting in the community.

Students are assigned their internships through the CCA or the high school. Zeena Bixby, a senior in the health and medicine pathway, said, “I’ve learned that I don’t like just sitting down. I like having something to do, and an internship did just that.” Currently, Bixby is switching to an intern as a primary school nurse. She is very excited to be working with kids and learning about what operating inside a school’s medical system looks like.

This program allows students to gain experience in their career pathways. It is also a chance to see whether their career choice is something they would like to do. Matt Johnson, a senior, began their internship this semester as a social media intern at the Rome City Board of Tourism. Johnson said, “I think that it is important to gain experience before entering the workforce.” Johnson runs the social media accounts for Rome City, helping to expand Rome’s reach throughout Georgia. Johnson’s pathway at the CCA is Film, Arts, Media, and Entertainment. While their internship does not exactly align with their plans, Johnson is still gaining experience for the future. They said, “I’m going to school for acting. Although my internship is not exactly focused on that, I’m learning how to advertise myself and expand my image. I really care about film-making and acting, and I know that if I’m doing something I’m passionate about I will succeed.”

Dakota Dowdy, a junior who works as a cashier clerk at Food Lion, does not have an internship. But she does work part-time nearly every day after school. She said, “[Having a job is] really important. It allows me to pay for the things I want and need. I enjoy my independence and not having to rely on my parents for everything.”

Bixby has recently been accepted to GA Southern and the University of Alabama. Johnson is awaiting enrollment in Berry College and is planning to transfer to a large city college. Dowdy is currently working at Food Lion and plans on applying for colleges toward the end of her junior year. At Armuchee High School, a student’s future is the priority. The teachers and staff work hard to make sure that those departing students have the necessary tools for a successful, sustainable life. Preparing them for college and life outside of school is the goal.