Habitudes Program Builds Leadership and Character

Fiza Nadeem, Staff Writer

In the fall of 2019, Armuchee High School began a character education and leadership program called Habitudes. It is an online format from motivational speaker Tim Elmore. Every month on Wednesdays students have Habitudes, which takes about 30 minutes to teach. 

The first Habitude was on August 14th, 2019, and it was about an Iceberg, which represents leadership. The 10% above the water is skill, whereas the 90% below the water is character. Students were encouraged to develop strong character so that they can become strong leaders. Some students in AHS liked Habitudes, but some did not. “I like Habitudes because I feel that it gives students a break from classes,” said Gavin Outler, sophomore. Gavin liked the habitude The Starving Baker. “It reminded me of the importance of putting myself first so that I can then help others,” said Gavin. Habitudes teaches students that in order to be successful or progress in maturity, students have to develop character as well as knowledge. High School is an opportunity to teach more than just what is in a textbook or state standards. Because students are young and influential people, teachers help them to better morals as they become adults.

Habitudes can be motivational if students take them seriously, because they get out what they put in, meaning if students take the time to listen and understand them, they can benefit from them. “Habitudes teach a variety of lessons about character, but are centered around leadership and self-reflection,” affirmed Matthew Campbell, freshmen. Davis Yeargan, Junior, said, “Habitudes are a good way for students to learn the keys to being successful in their future lives.” Habitudes use relatable stories and videos, and transfer it in their own lives. Davis liked the Habitude about the thermometer and thermostat, and he uses it a lot in his life. “I am a junior on the soccer team, and a lot of new people may look up to me or at least to all the juniors and seniors, and I have to keep a good example for the others so that way if they reflect my behavior; it’s positive and not negative,” stated Davis. Brindley Richey, senior, has applied the lesson about pop quizzes to her real life. “I know that I am not always prepared for any situation that might happen, but I can work on developing my character so that I have to face uncertain circumstances,” Brindley said. The program will continue each school year with new lessons for each grade level.