Star Student and Teacher

Gianna Conti, Staff Writer

Armuchee’s star student, senior, Kayla Hutcherson and star teacher, Seth Bates, are among many of the exceptional people in our community. Kayla earned Start Student by having the highest SAT score in her graduating class. She is also one of three Valedictorians for the class of 2019.  Hutcherson is involved in many extracurricular activities that includes cross country, track, marching band, concert band, National Honor Society, Spanish Honor Society, Academic Decathlon, and FCA. If you catch her with her letterman jacket on, you will be surprised at how many patches she has. She plans on attending the University of Georgia and majoring in music education. While at UGA, she hopes to be part of the Redcoat Marching Band.

Courtney Hutcherson, freshman, said, “One thing that makes Kayla stand out from others is how most people see her as nothing but a hard worker. She excels at everything she puts her mind to.” Courtney also said, “I admire her and look up to her for advice.  I have no doubt that Kayla will have a bright future, for she is capable of big things.” 

Hutcherson said, “I chose Mr. Bates as my Star Teacher because he has taught me so much beyond music, such as how to be an effective leader. He also continually encourages and inspires all of his students so they will leave his band as stronger, more confident people.” Many students have described Bates as a unique and talented teacher and leader. After graduating from Kennesaw State, this year will be Mr. Bates’ tenth year at Armuchee High School,  and he hopes to leave an impact on every student he teaches.

Hutcherson is very honored to have received this award, as is Mr. Bates. They have a great teacher-student relationship, anyone would say if you ask. This year Kayla will depart from the Armuchee High School band program and move on, but Mr. Bates will still be here, working just as hard with every other student. Bates has made a major impact on Hutcherson that she will never forget.