Brighter Birthdays: Key Club Spring Project

The+Key+Club+members+that+attended+and+helped+with+the+Brighter+Birthdays+service+project.+During+the+fall+the+club+participated+with+the+organization+for+the+first+time.+Sponsor+of+Key+Club%2C+Mrs.+Mowery+said%2C+%22We+adopted+them+as+a+community+project.+We+will+be+working+with+them+next+year+as+well.%22+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Key Club members that attended and helped with the Brighter Birthdays service project. During the fall the club participated with the organization for the first time. Sponsor of Key Club, Mrs. Mowery said,

The Key Club members that attended and helped with the Brighter Birthdays service project. During the fall the club participated with the organization for the first time. Sponsor of Key Club, Mrs. Mowery said, "We adopted them as a community project. We will be working with them next year as well."

Brighter Birthdays is a non-profit organization whose task is to give gift bags to underprivileged children on their birthdays. The founder of the organization is Christen Warden her goal is to provide birthday packages to students in the community that can not afford it. According to Junior, Carsen Ragland the organization is making a huge impact by sending hundreds of bags to the children who may not receive a big birthday celebration. Brighter Birthdays serves 16 schools within this region. Their goal for the 2018-19 school year was to deliver 2,250 bags to students, and so far they have delivered 1,586.

On April 17th members of the AHS Key Club volunteered their time after school to help with the Brighter Birthdays spring project. While there the members packed goody bags to send to students. In each bag, they put party decorations, party hats, bubbles, water bottles, birthday napkins, and plates as well as many other goods that would help a child’s birthday be even better. At a previous meeting, students used stamps to prepare a packet that was put into a Ziploc bag with the plates and napkins. They stamped fun phrases as well as Happy Birthday to help the child celebrate. 

When the students help with this project, they get a sense of gratefulness and feel humble. “As the students volunteer with this organization, it helps them realize how grateful they should be for the parties they were able to have when they asked for one,” Ragland reflects. Ragland said, “I am excited to continue to help Brighter Birthdays for more years and watch as they grow as an organization.”

• Senior, Asa Young helps stamp cards to put into the bags for Brighter Birthdays.

• Freshmen Ella Young, Carlie Poole, and Caitlyn Cowan help with the stamping project.

• The group looks and listens to speaker Linda Briel, from the business Let Us Create, as she gets them ready to begin the project. She brought at least 100 stamps to use and taught the members how to use them.

• Freshman, Parker Jenkins takes his time to help with the project.

• Sophomore Nic McCullough, Junior Olivia Crumbly, Senior Bryson Smith, Junior Zainab Waseem, and Sophomore Madison Burton. The group stops their work to take a picture.

• Juniors, Audrey Young, Carsen Ragland, Emilee Singleton help with the service project.

• Senior, Anna Fitzpatrick and Junior, Caroline Abney cut the card stock paper to get the project started.

• Freshmen, Reagan Foss and Emma Harrell stamp fun sayings on the cards.

• The Key Club members that attended and helped with the Brighter Birthdays service project. During the fall the club participated with the organization for the first time. Sponsor of Key Club, Mrs. Mowery said, "We adopted them as a community project. We will be working with them next year as well."