Tribe Tribune

Brighter Birthdays: Key Club Spring Project

The+Key+Club+members+that+attended+and+helped+with+the+Brighter+Birthdays+service+project.+During+the+fall+the+club+participated+with+the+organization+for+the+first+time.+Sponsor+of+Key+Club%2C+Mrs.+Mowery+said%2C+%22We+adopted+them+as+a+community+project.+We+will+be+working+with+them+next+year+as+well.%22+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Key Club members that attended and helped with the Brighter Birthdays service project. During the fall the club participated with the organization for the first time. Sponsor of Key Club, Mrs. Mowery said,

The Key Club members that attended and helped with the Brighter Birthdays service project. During the fall the club participated with the organization for the first time. Sponsor of Key Club, Mrs. Mowery said, "We adopted them as a community project. We will be working with them next year as well."

Brighter Birthdays is a non-profit organization whose task is to give gift bags to underprivileged children on their birthdays. The founder of the organization is Christen Warden her goal is to provide birthday packages to students in the community that can not afford it. According to Junior, Carsen Ragland the organization is making a huge impact by sending hundreds of bags to the children who may not receive a big birthday celebration. Brighter Birthdays serves 16 schools within this region. Their goal for the 2018-19 school year was to deliver 2,250 bags to students, and so far they have delivered 1,586.

On April 17th members of the AHS Key Club volunteered their time after school to help with the Brighter Birthdays spring project. While there the members packed goody bags to send to students. In each bag, they put party decorations, party hats, bubbles, water bottles, birthday napkins, and plates as well as many other goods that would help a child’s birthday be even better. At a previous meeting, students used stamps to prepare a packet that was put into a Ziploc bag with the plates and napkins. They stamped fun phrases as well as Happy Birthday to help the child celebrate. 

When the students help with this project, they get a sense of gratefulness and feel humble. “As the students volunteer with this organization, it helps them realize how grateful they should be for the parties they were able to have when they asked for one,” Ragland reflects. Ragland said, “I am excited to continue to help Brighter Birthdays for more years and watch as they grow as an organization.”

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Brighter Birthdays: Key Club Spring Project”

1. Linda Briel on April 30th, 2019 2:05 pm

I’m the Stampin’ UP! demonstrator who coordinated the Bag Topper project. I can’t thank Carsen enough for inviting me. All the Key Club members did a great job stamping Bag Toppers for Brighter Birthdays. I can’t wait to bring my stamps and supplies for a repeat with this fun group of young people!

2. emowery on May 2nd, 2019 12:56 pm

Thank you again, Ms. Linda. We will be in touch in the fall to work on this again! We also would like to have a card-making project to send to a retirement community.

Emily Mowery

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Brighter Birthdays: Key Club Spring Project

Extra-Extra

Where are AHS Seniors Going to College-Survey Says

• Extra-Extra

Emma Harrel-Firefly Fling Art Winner

Extra-Extra

Dr. Bettler- Lab

Extra-Extra

T-Shirt Development in Entrepreneurship

• Extra-Extra

Interesting Hobbies

Extra-Extra

El Día de los Muertos 2018

Extra-Extra

What’s Going on in Art: Clay Projects

• Extra-Extra

Survey Question

• Extra-Extra

Field Day 2018

Extra-Extra

March of Dimes Walk-Key Club & FBLA

The Student News Site of Armuchee High School